Po Leung Kuk Mrs. Ma Kam Ming-Cheung Fook Sien College
Education Support Provided for Non-Chinese Speaking (NCS) Students
School Support Summary
for the 2020/21 School Year
Our school was provided with additional funding by the Education Bureau in the 2020/21 school year to support NCS students. With reference to school-based circumstances, we provided support for our NCS students and assigned a dedicated team to coordinate relevant matters. Details are as follows:
(I) With reference to the learning progress and needs of NCS students, our school adopted the following modes to enhance the support for the NCS students learning of Chinese in the 2020/21 school year:
- Appointing one additional teacher and two teaching assistants to support the learning of Chinese of NCS students.
- In-class support provided in Chinese Language lessons:
- Pull-out learning (S2 to S4)
- Split-group learning (S3 to S5)
- Adopting a school-based Chinese Language curriculum and adapted learning and teaching materials. (S2 to S4)
- After-school support:
- Chinese learning groups (S1 to S5)
- Summer bridging courses (S1 to S3)
(II) Our school's measures for creating an inclusive learning environment included:
- Providing an English school webpage.
- Providing English school circulars.
- Cultivating a sense of belonging and identity in the classroom by organizing class activities, that builds social bonds between NCS and Chinese-speaking students.
- Providing opportunities for NCS students to learn and interact with their Chinese-speaking peers in school, e.g. engaging NCS students in interest groups, school house activities or uniform groups.
(III) Our school's measures for promoting home-school cooperation with parents of NCS students included:
- Discussing the learning progress (including learning of Chinese) of NCS students with their parents on a regular basis.
- Providing parents of NCS students with information on further studies and career pursuits for their children.
- Explaining to parents of NCS students the importance of their children mastering the Chinese language.